Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA)

Specialist Disability Accommodation


As an SDA housing provider, Better Care Disability Support Services is creating more choice for people living with disabilities, by providing rental accommodation that supports them to achieve independence and meaningful participation in the wider community.


What is SDA and who does it support?

SDA is a type of housing designed to enable people living with disability who are eligible NDIS participants to receive the support they need to live in the community. People who are eligible for SDA funding are those with extreme functional impairment and/or those who have very high support needs.

SDA funding covers the capital (bricks and mortar) costs of the home and supports investment in high quality SDA dwellings. It is not personal support funding. SDA funding is used for disability modifications to enable the person to become more independent.

Accessing SDA funding

If you think you might be eligible for NDIS funding, please contact your NDIS support coordinator.

How much will I pay for my accommodation?

In addition to the SDA funding you receive towards your SDA property, as an NDIS participant you will be expected to pay rent calculated at:

  • 25% of the Disability Support Pension Plus
  • 100% of your Commonwealth Rent Assistance

SDA-enrolled properties

SDA funding can only be paid to a registered NDIS provider with a SDA-enrolled property. All Better Care Disability Support Services disability properties are SDA-enrolled.

The information in your Housing Plan will decide which SDA housing design category will best support your independence. SDA payments will appear as a ‘capital support’ in your NDIS Plan. There will also be information explaining the dwelling type, the SDA design category and the location funded in your NDIS plan.

How is SDA calculated?

Funding you receive for SDA is specifically to cover the cost of the housing—including the land it is on. The amount of SDA funding included in your NDIS plan will depend on a range of factors such as the building type, how many people you live with, the location and any additional features.

What will I need to do?

Better Care Disability Support Services will ask you to sign a tenancy or occupancy agreement that complies with the NDIS. You will also need to enter into an agreement with your support provider for a support plan. The Better Care Disability Support Services team will work with your support provider through a Partnering Agreement.

When you move into a SDA-enrolled home, we will arrange for your SDA funding to contribute to the cost of your accommodation.

Please contact us.